7.17.2008

Decisions Decisions! Pt6: My Dress!

For obvious reasons certain people cannot scroll down on this post. If any of these conditions apply - go find something else to read (Russian McD's knockoff McDuck, or Chinese Kid named "Olympic Games" or whatever else you like - but no scrolling down!!! If you want to read older posts click here and go backwards from there.)

Post Restriction Conditions:
  • Your name is Adam and you plan on marrying me next April.
  • You are a guest of the wedding who wants to/should wait to be surprised.
  • You cannot keep your mouth shut when it comes to talking to anyone who fits the above conditions.
  • You have a fear of wedding dresses.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
***************************************************************
Ok then. On to the dress!
MY DRESS!!
Kind of... mine will have off the shoulder neckline which I'll tell you about below.

How fun is the back??

Lovin' the bodice detail.

This is where my tips from Lessons Learned really come from. This was a shop that I didn't initially plan on going into, but I figured I had been every where else, might as well really cover all my bases. Cute shop, great people. They had just received the dress and no one had even tried it on. She told me it was blush, strapless, and fitted over the hip. All three of which were NO GO's for me; but I said I'd try it on - what the hell? Its only one more dress to the (I counted this once and couldn't believe it) 40 I had tried on THAT DAY. As it turns out, blush from this company = "glowing ivory." Fitted over the hip = funky fun! Strapless = I LOVE CASABLANCA!! They allow you to custom ORDER your dress. I could mix and match the beading, the bodice, the neckline, the skirt, or the fabric from any of their dresses IN MY MEASUREMENTS!!!!! How awesome is that??? So I ordered this dress, with a deeper dip in the back (not a lot, but an inch or so), with an off-the-shoulder neckline with a slight "V" in it, to my measurements. Oh- and all this customization cost me an additional $105 - that's it!

Ok. Now to anyone who has the impression that I had a "choir of angels from above "ahhhh"" moment of this is THE dress.... notsomuch. I had on the dress, decided I really liked it, and then tried on a few more. Then I put the dress back on, stuck a veil on, my mother cried, and I refused to take the dress off... for an hour. I was just be-bopping around the store, talking to other customers, waiting for my Dad to get there to toss in his opinion, and called my MOH to come see it.
Me and my MOH celebrating!

So there is us looking all kinds of happy and celebrating. I still went to another 4 stores the next weekend and waited an addition 3 weeks before ordering it. I went to other stores and tried on some other dresses, but I realized that nothing was really striking my fancy. A few weekends later, my fiance went out of town on a weekend flight and I stayed home and got creative while watching tv. This had two outcomes. 1 - I made shoes! And 2 - WAAAAYY too much "Say Yes to the Dress" t.v. shows (it was a marathon and I watched them alllllll). While watching all these other brides go through their shopping process and paying Umpteen Zillion dollars on them, they all kind of blurred together in a sea of tulle and white with nothing standing out... except "my" beautiful dress with a splash of sass. I called my mom and told her to make an appointment to measure and order the dress! Since then it has mentally become my dress that I can't wait to come in! (Which should be in the next few weeks!)

Ok... now I've got to dress my bridesmaids!!

Anyone else go through lots of dresses AFTER finding the one that you ended up with?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE it!Good choice!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's stunning, and it looks *amazing* on you!!

I'm still in the middle of my gown search, but when my maid of honor got married, she ended up buying the second gown she tried on -- but not until visiting at least 5 more bridal salons with me in tow. (I didn't mind, we had such a blast!) So you're definitely not alone in continuing to look after finding the one you ended up with!

Heidi said...

Your dress is beautiful! LOVE IT!