8.21.2008

Why Marriage?


Yesterday on Weddingbee, Mrs. Daffodil posed the questions, Why Marriage?

Its a hot topic these days. Many people are arguing that legally, a power of attorney form and a Will will accomplish the same basic goal. Long term celebrity relationships including those of Susan Sarandon, Oprah Winfrey and Goldie Hawn are all the buzz with people wondering if they've got it right. Hollywood commentators say its "hot".

...ummm I know my sense of fashion might be lacking but this is sexy?

Goldie Hawn was quoted: "We've both been married. I`ve been married twice. It didn`t work. He was married once. That didn`t work either. I like being his girlfriend. I like that notion. I think it`s sexy. And I do think that it`s a way of saying, 'You know what? I don`t own you. And there is no paper that says that. ' "

Am I the only one who thinks that just sounds jaded?

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I think this says it all:

Why Marriage?

Mari Nichols-Haining

Because to the depths of me, I long to love one person,
With all my heart, my soul, my mind, my body...

Because I need a forever friend to trust with the intimacies of me,
Who won't hold them against me,
Who loves me when I'm unlikable,
Who sees the small child in me, and
Who looks for the divine potential of me...

Because I need to cuddle in the warmth of the night
With someone who thanks God for me,
With someone I feel blessed to hold...

Because marriage means opportunity
To grow in love in friendship...

Because marriage is a discipline
To be added to a list of achievements...

Because marriages do not fail, people fail
When they enter into marriage
Expecting another to make them whole...

Because, knowing this,
I promise myself to take full responsibility
For my spiritual, mental and physical wholeness
I create me, I take half of the responsibility for my marriage
Together we create our marriage...

Because of this understanding
The possibilities are limitless.



I hope I keep this and remember it when the hard times of reality set in and the honeymoon is over. Its about more than just a legal binding, its a commitment to each other in front of family, friends, and God.


Thanks to Jessica Lynn of Tying the Knot for finding this photo.

Anyone else annoyed/appalled at the celebrity reasonings of avoiding marriage being "sexy" or wanting to avoid a messy divorce? What happened to picking your partner for life?

0 comments: